Components of an Amazon product listing
Below are the essential elements that make up a product listing and that you must fill out every time you create a product on Amazon.
We’ll go through them in detail so that you can optimize each element to create effective product listings and increase your sales volume.
- Product title
- Bulleted list or bullet points
- Product description
- Hidden keywords
The product title, an important element in the creation of your offers
Writing Amazon product listings, generic rules to follow when writing your titles
There are generic rules that apply to any product category and that can lead to the suspension of your account.
- Titles should be approximately 150 characters long, including spaces
- To improve web readability, use a capital letter for the first letter of each word but do not capitalize everything
- Numbers are written in numbers and not in letters
- If the product is sold in batches, the number of units sold must appear in the title (e.g.: batch of 2 chairs)
- The title does not contain promotional or pricing information
- The title does not contain personalized information about the seller
- Do not stuff keywords in the title by using synonyms for the same product
- The use of emojis and special characters is prohibited
Make good use of images in Amazon product listings
Product images are very important elements in online sales, they greatly influence the purchase decision.
You must ensure that you offer high-quality product images and respect the Amazon standard requirements.
Image sizes and formats, the main requirements:
- Images should be at least 1,600 pixels high to benefit from the zoom feature.
- Images should not exceed 10,000 pixels in width.
- Images are offered in high resolution at 72 dpi.
- Images need to be in JPEG (.jpg or .jpeg), TIFF (.tif), PNG (.png) or GIF (.gif) format. The JPEG format is preferred.
Quality and content of the images, the main requirements:
- The images must only represent the product that is sold (if accessories can be purchased in addition, they must not appear on the product visual).
- The product must occupy at least 85% of the image.
- The main image must show the product on a white background (hexadecimal code = #FFFFFF or RGB code = 255, 255, 255).
- Images cannot be blurred or pixelated.
- Images should not include logos, brands, or promotional content.
There are also specific constraints for different product categories. Here are some examples:
- For footwear sales, the main image must show a cropped visual on a white background of a single shoe, facing left, tilted at an angle between 35 and 55 degrees, and centered in the middle of the image.
- Product images for apparel must be an image of the product worn by a model whose hair does not obscure any part of the clothing.
- If the product comes in multiple colors, you must provide a visual for each color sold.
Want to open your Amazon Seller Central account? Before organizing the photoshoot of your items, remember to check in the product creation guide the restrictions imposed by Amazon for your offer category.
Some tips to optimize your images
- Have your photos taken by a professional.
- Take pictures of your product from different angles.
- Use diagrams to explain how the product works.
- Offer images of your product in a staged setting.
- Add pictograms that show the product’s features and strengths. Add visual guides that show the dimensions of the product.
Amazon allows up to 9 images per product page. Use this opportunity to promote your products and convince buyers of the usefulness and quality of your offer.
Please note that background images or those containing text or captions can only be integrated as secondary images.
Add videos to your product pages to maximize your sales
Video is a compelling and extremely powerful marketing tool that helps improve your conversion rates.
If you open an Amazon Seller account, go to https://sellercentral.amazon.com/creatorhub/video/library
In order for your videos to be accepted by Amazon, make sure to:
- Provide videos in .mov or .mp4 format that do not exceed 5GB
- Provide a preview thumbnail in jpg or png format unless you are happy with the automatically generated thumbnail
- Enter a title for your video
- Define the ASINs associated with your video
Add videos to your product sheets to maximize your sales
Bullet points are an integrated format within Amazon product listings that give the buyer a quick overview of the main product features.
If you have a Seller account, you can use up to 5 bullet points, each with a maximum of 500 characters (including spaces)
If you have a Vendor account, you can use up to 10 bullets, each with 255 characters.
To write effective bulleted lists, here are some tips: Start by following Amazon’s official recommendations
- Each bullet starts with a capital letter.
- Bullets should be written as sentence fragments.
- There should be no punctuation at the end of a bullet point.
- Do not include promotional information or links.
To make your bullet point lists impactful, we also recommend that you:
- Write your content with correct grammatical syntax.
- Do not overuse keywords one after the other.
- Stay factual and do not use any superlatives.
- Write for your target audience.
Optimize your product descriptions
The “description” field in the product file creation tool allows you to present the product in detail with a longer text than the one entered in the bullet point lists.
It is in this field that you can specify the characteristics of the article such as the material, the cut, the functionalities, the advice of use and maintenance…etc.
If you have registered your brand with Amazon’s Brand Registry, you will be able to include A+ content in the product description field.
Your product descriptions must include your important keywords in a natural and readable way in order to improve your SEO, however, the use of SEO keywords must not be at the expense of the quality of the information provided to users.
Use hidden keywords
Hidden keywords are, as their name suggests, invisible to the user. On the other hand, they provide additional information that is analyzed by the A9 ranking algorithm, so it is highly recommended to fill in the hidden keywords fields for each of your ASINs.
The product creation on Amazon is therefore a meticulous and time-consuming work, but essential to your success. Our agency accompanies you in this process thanks to its service dedicated to the creation of Amazon content.